Saturday 25 September 2010

23 September - Ethiopia - Bahir Dar

News direct from Jay:


Finally got to a halfway decent sized town up here in the Ethiopian highlands. It's called Bahir Dar, it's on the Southern shores of Lake Tana. It's where the Blue Nile starts (it looks very 'brown' up here...even got hippos in it!). Machines are very slow, the cafe's are not too pleasant. I've not really been able to get into the swing of any form of correspondence. Am fairly whacked most evenings after long hard rides, and going to look for these mosquito infested dens is not very appealing. Maybe when I get back to Nairobi, I'll try to put some write up together. 
 
This pm, I bumped into a bit of a legend on the road, coming the other way! A young German fella called Alex. I'd prevously heard of him from other travellers: 5 years and 200,000km on the road, he's finally getting home sick and heading home to Hamburg. We chatted road side amongst corn fields for an hour before we both headed our own ways. I should be in Debre Marco tomorrow night, then Addis the next. After one night there' I'll race south towards the Kenyan border again. Should take 2-3 days to get to Moyale.
 
Trip has great days and difficult days. The highs are normally very high, the lows can be quite low. Still, I enjoy taking the rough with the smooth. It's not been possible to ride with anyone for more than one day as I am travelling quicker than most. still, I bump into travellers every few days up here. 



Jay's route  4-23 September 2010

Blue Nile - Bahir Dar

Village just outside Bahir Dar

No comments:

Post a Comment