Saturday 20 November 2010

1-3 November 2010 - South Africa - Nelspruit & Johannesburg

I entered SA on 1st and stayed at the Funky Monkey Backpackers lodge in Nelspruit, a really cool place! 
This is certainly a very pretty and tidy country, even more so after having spending time in other parts of Africa. It certainly feels like I am taking a break out of 'real Africa'! I arrived in JoBurg on the 2nd November and am staying with Steve's folks in Stirling Road, Sandton. It's a beautiful suburb in Northern JoBurg. 
Sandtown, which Jay stayed just outside off
The bike is currently getting: a full service, new chain and sprockets, new mirror and most importantly new tyres. Ironically, it was not my tyre that got punctured on this trip, but my foot! 
 
I went to see Steve's family doctor, a very stern faced old school doctor called Dr Rautenbach. As Steve's parents had forewarned me, he did not pussy-foot about. He injected anaesthetic into 3 points on the sole of my foot (the most painful injections I have ever had!) and whipped out his scalpel. Anyway, he pulled out the fragment of coral and dirt that had caused me so much pain and discomfort over the last 7 days. He also cut out the surrounding infected flesh. There's a hole the size of a pea in my right foot!


Anyway, I'm just relieved that I'm now clear of the intrusions and can start the healing process. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment